Sunday, June 05, 2005

Anticipation had me suspended in a giddy sort of mood all week. "I get to go to Maxwell's to see Surefire! SQUEEE!"

I hadn't seen them in well over three months and when they took the stage, I noticed some immediate differences. For one thing, they had somehow managed to lug a HAMMOND ORGAN on stage. It required, I was to find out later on, three people to get it off the stage.
Also, Jacob's hair was shorter.... and -- oh gee, Justin sure did look different. I... couldn't quite place it.. was his hair darker? straighter? ah yes, he seemed a bit taller. I realize it's been a while since I'd last seen them, but damn, how long could I have been gone?! In any case, he sure did look different! Sort of like.... someone who wasn't Justin. hmmmmm.
So yeah, Justin was totally MIA last night, but the drummer who filled in was a spectacle to see. Surefire had barely gotten through a fourth of their set when my attention was diverted away from the guitarists in front and directed toward the drummer behind them, who'd been twirling his drumsticks like nobody's fuckin' business, and whom I was focused on the entire time. His mastery of the drumstick spinning thing (as well as the throwing-in-the-air thing) was uncanny. He's TOTALLY got it down. So for the remainder of the band's set, I had my eyes fixated on him, entranced, watching him twirl his drumsticks and throw them in the air at every available opportunity. Never been the sort to pay much attention to drummers, but I was enamored with him, his style was just too dynamic not to notice. (Aw helllll yeah, throw those drumsticks in the air!) INTENSE.
I don't believe I've ever concentrated so much of my attention on the rhythm section of a band. DAMN, that guy can play the drums.
Sidenote - I suspect, also, that I recognized him as an audience member at the benefit show at NYU back in February where ten bands played 30 minute sets each. Hasn't been confirmed though.

You should've seen the band haul Nick's organ off the stage and drag it to the back. Three people, it took THREE people, with difficulty. I stared at them and snickered privately. I just sort of watched, and turned away, and laughed at them. I hadn't realized Surefire had acquired a cargo truck since the last time I'd seen them, but they must have, because surely no smaller or less powerful vehicle could possibly accomodate such an instrument that thing.

Quite a bit of a departure from Nick's usual keyboard.
Well, one thing's for sure, that ain't no keyboard.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home