Sunday, May 15, 2005

oh, that reminds me

All this talk of Adam Green brings to mind yesterday's happenings. I haven't seen Kimya Dawson play since that Knitting Factory show way back in early December, but I went last night, and oh dear, The Pharmacy opened -- if I hadn't learned my lesson the first time.....

I've only known The Pharmacy in terms of "the godawful opening band from the Moldy Peaches reunion show at The Hook in October, that I heckled during the breaks between songs with the guy sitting next to me on the bleachers." (Then later on we heckled some more outside while we waited for Kimya and Adam after the show.)
Lucky me, I walked in in the middle of their set and for about twenty minutes my ears bled. But, to my delight, they played "Dance With Me" (!!!!!!!!!) at the end of their set, which REDEEMED ALL. Hate to say it, but they played a hell of a rendition of that song, vocals not withstanding.

I had to drag my ass to Williamsburg for the 200th time in the last three months, this time to S. 1st. Now we all know kimya isn't big on playing "proper" shows at establishments designated for providing musical acts with proper stages and sound systems (real clubs), so it came as no surprise to me that I ended up at an "experiential art space" just paces away from Kent and the Western "bank" of the East River. I think within five minutes of walking in, I was already close to suffocating on the cigarette smoke in there, I felt like I was in Maxwell's, only Maxwell's isn't CRAPPY. My initial reaction was, "oh gee. how astoundingly clever and ironic to name this place the Glass House Gallery when no part of it is made of glass! a windowless brick & cement building named the Glass House Gallery. teehee! Clever, CLEVER."

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home