Saturday, July 23, 2005

After about a week of laying low (and missing two huge shows while I was at it), I ventured out to the LES last night to see brooklyn band The Diggs, wondering how a band that was so celebrated a fixture in the local scene could have passed under my watch for so long. I discovered them under some odd and random circumstances, but it was serendipity, for here was a band that offered originality. You'll want to think "brit-pop" upon initially hearing their material but there aren't distinctly British elements prevalent in it. Present in some of their songs is the suggestion of shoegaze, though absent are many of the quintessential components of the sound we know as "shoegaze", so it isn't quite that. (Still, anglophiles tend to LOVE The Diggs.) They've established enough of a musical identity of their own to constitute being described as "innovative" rather than being likened to five other bands.

But I'm reluctant to decide on my opinion of any band until I've heard their recordings and seen their live performance, so I took it upon myself to go see The Diggs at Cake Shop last night. Before me were all the indications that this band was on the rise: a loyal core fan base skirting the stage (uh, the performance area, rather; this was Cake Shop) a photographer darting around photographing them with (what appeared to be?) an SLR, employees at the club seeming just about smitten by the end of their set. They play short sets, but they do not disappoint.

Take it from me, if you like their sound, make a point of catching them live. (If you need more motivation, you should be pleased to know that they're also really nice guys.) Sin-e loves them enough to book them for a four-week residency next month, that should be reason enough for you to drop in on any one if not all of the shows. (Honestly, what else have you got planned on Thursday nights?)

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home