Saturday, November 19, 2005

Oh My Rockness added Soft to their band list.
I repeat: OH MY ROCKNESS ADDED SOFT TO THEIR BAND LIST. Long time coming.

This past tuesday I imposed on their secret show at Knitting, a lone interloper in a room occupied by about 5 others -- possibly 6, all of them close personal friends of the band. It should be noted that I haven't seen them play in months (seven? I think?), so imagine my astonishment when I bore witness to the tremendous progress they made in that time. (So it seems after all that the critics and the blurb-writers with nothing but kind words to say in recent months hadn't just been neglecting to mention their minor flaws like I'd naturally assumed.) Who dares criticize the singer's vocal aptitude or accuse him of being a setback to the band now? And who dares accuse them of being "sloppy" performers (which is what they used to be, despite their enormous potential and obvious talent)? The band members are very much in sync with each other -- much more than they've ever been, and noticeably more comfortable on stage than they've ever been. Love that bassist! I think at this point I like him best, more than John the dancey singer, more than Sam the awkward drink-spiller. They were all very much at ease, and while they've always been the sort of band to experiment with their live performances in regards to vibe and stage swagger, they were fuckin' ON that night. I suppose this is the new and improved Soft, and I suppose their accelerated progress can be accounted for by all the rehearsals and determination and the dedication they've all dutifully invested in the band. The week prior, I ran into John at a show; it was about 10pm when he took off, said he was due for band practice. That's dedication.

I'm just going to keep on "dropping" in on their secret shows, because I browse venue calendars like that. Uh huh.
They play another secret show at Scenic towards the end of this month, I plan on crashing that one as well.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home