Wednesday, January 26, 2005

It's an epidemic. Hipsteritis: will manifest into an alternate personality in the weak-minded, if left untreated for a prolonged period.

I watch people around me (and some people in the public eye as well) undergo their sad transformations, and I scoff in their general direction. But what do I have to say for myself?

I used to be all,
"Establish a strong sense of self. Be really fucking elitist about it. And try not to let yourself be too heavily influenced by the passing fads. It's good to be up on the passing fads -- but audience participation? Unnecessary. Understanding it doesn't have to mean letting it interfere with your lifestyle decisions and thought process. Or consent to let it dictate your fashion choices."

But hey, what good did it do me? I had a strong sense of self (well, maybe not strong enough, because even I eventually succumbed), a firmly established identity, who the fuck were you? Before you lost yourself? When you were human? who were you? Which begs the question: who the fuck was I? Oh, I know who I was. I was damn proud of who I was. That didn't suffice; I failed to overcome the lure of being a "type", stubborn opposition and obstinant resistance only carried me so far. Apprehensive, I approached with caution and mistrust. What do you know, I still got bitten! I fought it for a considerably long time, didn't I though? Kind've prolonged the transition...... Anywho, that means nothing now. Can't wait 'til this is all over so I can be myself without feeling inadequate. I thought I was perfect the way I was.

Weak-minded individuals.... that includes you, and you, and you, and..... yes, me too. Noteable musicians also in this boat: Carrick Moore Gerety and all six ex-members/remaining members of Phantom Planet. I'm in good company, aren't I?
But seriously, they should know better. They're the musicians, they ought to know they need to stand firm. They are advantaged. They have the power to influence; instead they are merely being influenced. Oh, how much easier it would be if I were a musician.

Tight jeans on guys are overrated, I still dig the Gap modely bootcut style of a few years back. And hoodies that fit properly. And no, while I still refuse to wear retro skirts and ugly pointy shoes these days, and still think oversized garments are great, I probably used to look a lot better myself. Actually, I know I did. But I got suckered in and have become very much a lost cause. My apologies to humanity and all the free world.
How much admiration I would gain regain for myself if I were to return to my normal self. But I can't know that this is going on and not be part of it. When this is over though, oh when this is over..... I will surely rejoice (and mourn) that this terrible trend has finally relinquished its hold on me..

You are an atrocity of unwise fashion choices. But so am I. So am I. I guess I don't transcend fad after all. I am no longer entitled to scoff or scrutinize or examine. I miss being superior. I miss the entitlement. I miss being able to think of them as my subordinates. I miss all the power I convinced myself I had, and whatever else it was I knew I had over them.

Still in denial.. Still have delusions of self-awareness. No, I'm not a hipster. No, I'm not an indie snob. I don't wander about with a vagrant mind, latching onto every promising new cultural and musical movement that comes along, and -- what's that you say? Me, pretentious -- ? Why of course not! Still in denial, still in denial.... gotta respect that.
As for my shoes, the ones I wear exclusively and love so dearly... In my defense, I got these because they resembled those awesomely Gen X-ey looking old school airwalks more closely than anything else I could find... not because they are a hipster status symbol of the highest order. To be honest with you, I wasn't aware of it at that point.
Haven't any excuse for the keyclip though.

In its early stages of development, it was the anti-subculture for the mild, none too threatening or outlandish. But the garb has become outlandish. The attitude has become pretentious. It's not original anymore.
Time to leave.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home